Member with Syriza Party, Hellenic Parliament, Former Speaker, Hellenic Parliament
Place and Date οf Birth:
Nikos Voutsis was born in Athens in 1951. His place of origin is Tegea in the prefecture of Arkadia.
He is married to Angeliki Papazoglou and he has three children George, Arianna-Nicky and Panos.
He worked as a freelancer (1975 – 2010).
He graduated from the Experimental School of the University of Athens (Class of ’69).
He graduated from the Civil Engineer School of the National Technical University of Athens.
He speaks German.
– Elected MP of SYRIZA in the 1st Constituency of Athens in the elections of May and June 2012. Re-elected in the January and September 2015 elections.
– Secretary of the Parliamentary Group of SYRIZA (June 2012 – December 2014).
– Member of the Standing Committee on Public Order, Public Administration and Justice and of the Special Permanent Committee on Institutions and Transparency of the Hellenic Parliament.
– He actively participated in the mass student movement against the military regime as a member of the anti-junta student committees of the National Technical University of Athens. He vice-chaired the first Central Council of the National Student Union of Greece in 1975 after the restitution of democracy, which resulted from the National Council of which he was a member of the Bureau.
– Secretary of the Central Council of the Student Organization (ΕΚΟΝ Rigas Feraios) of the Communist Party of Greece – Interior (ΚΚΕ Interior) during two periods (1980 – 1985). A member of the Communist Party of Greece – Interior and the 9-member Secretariat until 1986. He participated in the Communist Party of Greece – Interior – Reformist Left from 1987 to 1991.
– He became a member of SYNASPISMOS (Coalition of the Left) following the 1993 elections and was elected to the Central Committee . He was Head of the Press office of SYNASPISMOS from 2000 to 2006. Since SYRIZA formation, he has been a candidate MP from 2004 and member of its Central Committee from the founding congress of SYRIZA until today.
– Candidate for the position of Deputy Head of the Region and Councilor of the Region of Attica with “Cooperation in Attica – No to the Memorandum” in the period of 2010 to 2012.
– Minister of Interior and Administrative Reconstruction in the first SYRIZA – ANEL government (January – August 2015).